VISION 2020 is the global initiative for the elimination of avoidable blindness launched in 1999 jointly by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB), consisting of international membership of NGOs, professional associations, eye care institutions and corporations.
VISION 2020, through WHO, IAPB and its member organizations provides technical support and advocacy to prevention of blindness activities worldwide. At the national level, a strong partnership between Ministry of Health, national and international NGOs, professional organizations and civil society groups, that form the national prevention of blindness or VISION 2020 committee to facilitate the development and implementation of effective and sustainable national eye health plans.
The goal is to eliminate avoidable blindness. In the long term, the initiative seeks to ensure the best possible vision for all people thereby improving their quality of life. This goal should be achieved through the establishment of a sustainable, comprehensive eye care system as an integral part of every national health system.
The strategy of VISION 2020 is built upon a foundation of community participation with three essential components or elements:
• cost-effective disease control interventions;
• human resource development (training and motivation); and
• infrastructure development
The guiding principles are summarized in the acronym ISEE:
• Integration into existing health care systems
• Sustainable in terms of money and other resources
• Equitable care and services available to all, not just the wealthy
• Excellence – a high standard of care throughout
The VISION 2020 objectives are to:
• Increase awareness among key audiences on the causes of avoidable blindness and the solutions that could help eliminate the problem;
• Identify and secure the necessary resources around the world in order to provide an increased level of activity in prevention, treatment and rehabilitation programmes; and
• Facilitate the planning, development and implementation of the three elements of the VISION 2020 strategic plan by national programmes